Australian citizenship may be conferred upon permanent residents of Australia who have resided in Australia for the required period of time, and meet all other criteria.
Permanent residence in Australia
Rights of permanent residents
You can remain in Australia indefinitely.
You have full rights of working and studying in Australia.
You are generally entitled to pay lower tuition fees than international students in Australia.
You are eligible for enrolling Medicare, which is the Australian national health insurance provider.
Note that you will not qualify for full Australian social security benefits immediately, and need to wait for a number of years after you have migrated to Australia to be eligible to apply for certain social welfare payments.
If you lodge your application offshore, then you will be advised by the Department of Home Affairs to enter Australia by a certain date on your Permanent Visa Grant Notice. Generally, the date is within 12 months since you completed the earliest health or character check. You will lose your Australia Permanent Visa if you do not enter Australia by the given date, after which you have to re-apply for it if you are still eligible to do so.
Become an Australian citizen
You can become a citizen of Australia in different ways. You must meet certain criteria before you apply. Conferral and descent are the most common ways to apply.
Applicants must meet a series of requirements to be eligible for Australian citizenship by conferral:
- You must be a permanent resident and live in Australia for at least 12 months.
- You must be a lawful resident in Australia for 4 years immediately prior to applications, including time spent on temporary visas (i.e. working holiday, tourist, student)
- Being absent from Australia for no more than 1 year in the last 4 years and no more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately before lodgement.
- Once the Department of Home Affairs confirms that you meet the above residence requirements, they will conduct security checks and review your immigration history. Then, you will be invited to attend a Citizenship test. If you are over 60 or under 18, you will attend a citizenship appointment.
- You application will be approved if all the requirements are satisfied following the test.
- The final step in the application process is to attend a Citizenship Ceremony, which is organised by Local Councils and other local groups throughout the year. Then you will become an Australian Citizen successfully and are able to apply for an Australian passport.
If at least one of your parents was an Australian Citizen or a permanent resident when you were born in Australia, you would automatically be an Australian Citizen.
- If one of your parents held Australian citizenship when you were born overseas, you would be eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship by Descent.
- You can lodge your applications online.
- The relevant Australian Embassy or High Commission in your country of residence will process your application.
You can take up citizenship of another country without losing your Australian citizenship, which is allowed by Australia.
If you believe your citizenship application involves complicated matters such as Character ground, insufficient residency, etc., please consult our team member without hesitation.
Why Choose Us?
Our experienced team of migration experts will be able to assist clients in all migration matters.
How it Works?
The process of our migration service.
I was satisfied with your service, with prompt response and kept me informed on a regular basis during the visa application. Even though the whole process took a little bit longer however the the time for the visa to be granted was quicker than what I thought. From that I could tell the professionalism of H2 Migration's service. I will certainly recommend my friends to use your service. Thanks.
Ever since consulting H2 Migration on the Business visa (188B), I have been very grateful for the hard work and effort executed by H2 Group. The State government has since granted its approval and we are now prepared to formally lodge the application to the Department of Immigration. The firm has displayed great professionalism and patience to ensure that my queries are properly addressed.
With H2 Migration Group‘s help my cousin has been studying in Perth for one year and we have experienced many problems during this year. But H2 Migration settled the issues effectively and patiently. H2 has achieved a high reputation by their professional service and extensive experience among a large amount of international students and their parents.